Under general administrative direction of the City Engineer / Director, the Assistant Director of Storm Water for the Transportation and Capital Improvements Department will provide high level expertise and leadership on storm water drainage and capital improvements for the City of San Antonio. The position will lead the City’s efforts in storm water operations, storm water engineering, floodplain management, project development, flood management and response and vegetation management. This position manages the activities of City’s storm water division and is responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic and comprehensive, long-term storm water plan for the City of San Antonio. This position is also responsible for overseeing the City's storm water utility fee which provides an annual revenue of approximately $50 Million to support storm water management engineering and operational services.
The City of San Antonio is committed maintaining and improving its storm water infrastructure and engineering to reduce flooding during rain events. The proposed 2017-2022 Bond Program includes $144 Million for drainage and flood control. This position, in addition to managing the current resources, will aid in the development and implementation of these new projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides experience and direction in the areas of Storm Water Operations,. Storm Water Engineering, Flood Response, and Vegetation and Flood Plain Management.
- Assists in managing the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; and allocates resources accordingly.
- Assists in acting as official departmental representative to other City departments, City Manager's Office, elected officials and outside agencies; explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Assists in managing and participating in the development and administration of the department budget; estimates funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; and assists in directing the monitoring and approval of expenditures; and directs the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Maximizes investments and seeks additional funding for community projects from local, state and federal resources.
- Evaluates and advises on State and Federal legislative proposals related to transportation.
- Serves as an official departmental representative to other City departments, the City Manager’s office, elected officials, and outside agencies.
- Assists with the development and administration of the department budget.
- Prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary communications
To learn more visit http://bit.ly/2hrvf4t