| The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan's mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan's facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct; five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day; nine surface water reservoirs; 800 miles of pipeline, ranging up to nearly 20 feet in diameter; 16 hydroelectric power plants; and numerous support facilities.|
ASSOCIATE ENGINEER (Civil, General Design) - 3 positions
The MWD's Engineering Services Group currently has three (3) openings for Associate Engineers (Civil, General Design) in the Design Unit of our Facility Development Section at our Headquarters Building in Los Angeles, CA.
This position is responsible for planning, designing and preparing civil engineering construction drawings and specifications for highly complex water treatment plants and distribution system projects. Duties include, but are not limited to: performing all phases of civil engineering design including design and preparation of site plan, site grading, pipeline plan and profile, traffic control plant, and detour and striping plan; preparing and reviewing technical specifications for site work activities related to pipeline and treatment plant construction and site development; interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with geotechnical consultants to develop scopes of work and budgets to support pipeline and treatment plant design efforts; reviewing and interpreting geotechnical reports to develop and select design parameters for pipeline, treatment plant, and site development projects; and preparing street and roadway plans, including the design of flexible and rigid pavement structural sections.
1. Performs and may lead the planning, coordinating, conducting, and monitoring tests, studies, investigations.
2. May represent Metropolitan within area of responsibility with external entities.
3. Prepares technical documents and reports; prepares and may make presentations.
4. Assists with Developing and administering contracts and agreements; reviews the work of vendors, consultants and contractors.
5. Plans and coordinates project tasks within area of responsibility, including monitoring scope, quality, budget, and schedule.
6. Provides technical expertise within area of responsibility on projects and issues.
7. Assists on special assignments in support of Metropolitan initiatives.
8. Performs technical analyses and provides recommendations to support planning, design, construction, infrastructure reliability and/or operational issues.
9. Prepares and reviews design criteria, plans, specifications, submittals, cost estimates, and budgets.
10. Assists with developing standards, procedures, guidelines, and manuals.
11. May execute mathematical, statistical, and other models.
12. Performs site and construction inspections.
13. May perform emergency response duties.
14. Maintains official records, documents, and data.
15. May participate on a project team.
16. Performs other related Engineer job duties as required.
1. Prepares and may lead the review of engineering design criteria, calculations, plans, specifications, estimates and reports for water treatment, conveyance and distribution systems.
2. Provides and may lead technical support during construction.
3. May perform factory acceptance testing and systems start-up.
4. Performs investigations of existing facilities, structures, processes and equipment to resolve performance, operation or reliability issues.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and four years of relevant experience, of which two years must have been at the Assistant Engineer II level; OR a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and two years of relevant experience which must have been at the Assistant Engineer II level.
Relevant experience is defined as: A combination of experience in at least 3 of the following areas: Design and preparation of site plan, site grading, pipeline plan and profile, traffic control, detour and striping plan; Preparation of civil engineering construction specifications; Design and preparation of street and roadway plans, including flexible and rigid pavement structural sections; Calculation and preparation of hydraulic and hydrology reports for storm/sewer collection systems; Preparation of SWPPP plans including MS4 permit requirements; and Project Management.
A degree (Bachelors or Masters) in a related field is defined as a Civil Engineering Degree.
General Required Knowledge of: Engineering principles, practices and applications in specific discipline; project schedules and budgets; applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations related to area of responsibility; and current office technology and equipment.
Design Required Knowledge of: Manufacturing and construction means, methods and equipment; applicable engineering design software.
General Required Skills and Abilities to: Analyze and interpret data; organize; project scheduling software; prepare technical reports and correspondence; use independent judgment and exercise discretion; problem solve; prioritize and multi-task; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work independently and in a team environment; and operate current office equipment including computers and supporting applications.
Design Required Skills and Ability to: Estimate; use engineering design software.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
Employees in this position will be required to obtain and maintain the following certifications, licensing and registrations:
* Engineer in Training (EIT) (Needed at time of application)
* Valid California Class C Driver License that allows you to drive in the course of your employment (Needed at time of application)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the job duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job duties.
Physical Demands: The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as personal computers and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities such as above-average agility and dexterity.
Work Environment: The work involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts, carts, or machines, or irritant chemicals; etc. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as masks, gowns, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, or shields.
Work Schedule: 9/80 (Alternating Fridays off)
Job Related Selection Criteria:
45% Technical Knowledge (knowledge of Civil engineering principles)
15% Job Preparation (education, experience & training relevant to the position)
10% Organizational Planning/PM
10% Written Communication Skills
05% Teamwork Skills
05% Oral Communication Skills
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent medical, dental, life, vision
* Retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k
* Tuition reimbursement
* Training and advancement opportunities
* Excellent working environment
* Public transportation reimbursements and van pools
* On-site fitness center
* Hub of public transportation: Rail, subway, buses and taxis
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process, please call (213) 217-7738 or email email@example.com.
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.