Come join our team of highly capable and dedicated engineers in the Engineering Services Group within the Capital Projects and Roadway Structures Division of the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT).
The Supervising Bridge Engineer (Civil Engineer, Supervisor) will serve in a lead role with the engineering and construction document preparation for the planned Move Seattle Levy Capital Improvement Projects, and to support with delivery of non-Levy based engineering work. This position is anticipated to serve as a Project Engineer on bridge projects and staff Supervisor for Senior and Associate Civil Engineers serving as Project Engineers and structural design leads. Position will report to the Bridge Design and Engineering Manager and support departmental goals in promoting diversity, race, and social justice.
- Staff in this position will employ their thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of civil engineering with emphasis in bridge engineering.
- Job duties will also require supervisory abilities in guidance of junior and senior engineering staff, and consultant engineers.
- In addition, incumbent will perform or supervise the engineering design, cost estimating, specification writing, drafting, mapping and computations, as well as read and interpret plans, specification, and construction documents for the most complex and technically challenging SOOT projects.
- Where serving as a Project Engineer, staff will coordinate the technical design efforts of a multi-discipline internal and consultant lead design teams to complete construction documents for Capital Improvement Projects.
- Contacts for staff in this position include inter and intra departmental, administrative, engineering and construction personnel, elected officials and their staff, other government agencies, contractors, and the public to exchange information coordinate work, answer questions, and to respond to complaints.
- The employee will provide design support during construction phase of projects, which includes review and preparation of submittals, attending weekly construction meetings, review of change orders and preparing design clarification sketches and responses to requests for information.
- Staff in this position may also be responsible for serving as a Department technical expert for areas of bridge or structural engineering.
- The following projects and programs related to the Move Seattle Levy, are anticipated to be supported by the staff in this position: Bridge Seismic Retrofit Program (BSRP), Bridge Replacement Program (BRRP), and the Bridge Painting Program.
- Additionally, the staff in this position will provide in-house design support for retaining wall design, signal pole foundation design, reimbursable structural design work for other City Departments (SPU and SCL), and the Areaway Hazard Mitigation Program.
- Finally, this position is expected to provide support with the Bridge Load Rating Program and provide assessments and analysis of existing structures in accordance with AASHT O and FHWA requirements.
- Additional duties are anticipated to include: providing support to group managers and project managers for preparation of permit applications and accompanying plans/specifications packages.
- Research existing conditions and perform technical field investigations and inspections as required to support a project through design and construction.
These responsibilities are only a summary of typical functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.