This role is responsible for managing, performing, & providing aerospace materials characterization and analytical services in a metallurgical laboratory environment. The Engineering Manager, Level 1 is responsible to lead and improve an engineering organization which is responsible to design, develop, validate, improve and/or support products, systems or applications. The incumbent generally reports to another Engineering Manager, Engineering Director or Site Leader and is relied upon to provide technical expertise in guiding design efforts, customer interactions, and other engineering related matters such as quality problem solving.
- Supports continuous systemic improvement initiatives
- Responsible for creating, maintaining and improving design standards that result in high quality and compliant products
- Implements and supports continuous improvement initiatives in his or her group to improve product development velocity and cost efficiency
- Supports CAC, the root cause determination and/or corrective action of current or NPI quality issues (escapes, NCR's, etc.) where design support is required (ECR's, Analysis, Test)
- Maintains, and improves a highly effective and well skilled staff to carry out actions to complete planned objectives
Develops budget to support profit planning activities and manages within the approved budget constraints Utilizes his or her group as well as the full extended enterprise to improve the customer-perceived value of products through the use of structure and best practice methods (risk analysis, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Lean, dimensional analysis, formal problem solving, DOE, Taguchi, etc.). Anticipates, identifies and resolves project risks Possesses and provides technical product expertise to the extended enterprise (Suppliers, CoE, Customers, Sales & Marketing, and other divisions) as required to support the growth of the business Assigns resources as required to IPT's or other requirements as needed
- Utilizes the talent management system
- Completes review process and salary planning
- Maintains and executes a training matrix
- Supports staffing of the group to meet business demands and objectives
- Assures leverage of all groups and assets within the Business group
- Develops and maintains training matrix for his or her group
- Responsible for goal flowdown from the Business Group level to actionable activities
- Supports other groups or segments within Business Group with expertise and manpower to the extent possible when critical situations arise
- May author and/or approve organizational documents and operating procedures
- May attend external events, such as trade shows, conferences, etc. to seek out, evaluate and deploy new methods to improve the company's overall competitiveness
- May participate on committees to the extent required (such as innovation and patent committees)
- May directly manage Project Managers/Coordinators to carryout the PLC process
Materials and Equipment Used:
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job will take him/her into various areas of the plant where there is a possible exposure to noise, chemicals, dust and temperature variations.
- Occasional domestic/international travel may be required.