Requirements for this position include:
- A minimum of a BS degree (preferably civil engineering) from an ABET accredited university. A MS degree with an emphasis in structural engineering preferred.
- Professional Engineering license in the State of Michigan, with the ability to obtain licensure in other states.
- Experience in overseeing and coordinating all aspects of materials science related projects to completion within specified budget and timelines.
- Ability to perform analyses and calculations pertaining to technical aspects of concrete (and other construction materials as required) to effectively solve construction materials problems and obtain useful results.
- Having an understanding of engineering test methods used to evaluate new and existing concrete construction (structures and pavements), including:
- Familiarity with typical jobsite QA testing
- Strong understanding of concrete constituent testing and pertinent ASTM, ACI and other concrete industry related standards
- Ability to perform nondestructive testing (NDT) such as: Visual observations and relevant measuring; Audible (chain drag and hammer sounding); Impact Echo; Impulse Radar; Ground Penetrating Radar; Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity; Half-Cell Potential; Windsor Probe and Pin; etc.
- Ability to make visual examinations of concrete cores and samples for characteristics that can affect performance
- Familiarity with petrographic evaluations
- Understanding of the effects of corrosion, and distress and methods to estimate their effects on a structure’s remaining service life using both practical and advanced approaches
- Understanding of corrosion protection techniques (active and passive) and ability to devise a protection plan tailored to a concrete structure’s environment
- Having sufficient knowledge to make recommendations for suitable concrete repairs and specifications for the remediation of distressed concrete, estimate the probable cost of repairs, develop an effective QA/QC program, and ability to monitor the rehabilitation program.
- Ability to organize data and write effective engineering reports (have strong verbal and written communication skills)
- Ability to perform forensic and expert witness activities (experience in these areas desired)
- Be able to market and cross-sell SME services to Clients and prospective Clients
- Willingness to work in varied environments as dictated by the project, for example:
- Sitting and use of a computer for prolonged periods of time
- Work in confined spaces and at heights greater than six feet (potentially on ladders, boom lifts, and swing stages)
- Work that may be performed in a laboratory environment or in the field where exposure to chemicals, noise, dust, variations in temperature and humidity, fumes, and various types of equipment
- Travel locally and out-of- area; A valid driver’s license (good driving record) and passport are required
- Possible limited international travel
SME offers excellent opportunities for professional development and growth in a flexible, fast-paced working environment. Our robust benefits package for regular, full-time team members includes: Medical/Prescription coverage with no premiums required; life, disability and long-term care insurance coverage; matching 401(k); Profit Sharing; tuition reimbursement (up to $5000 per calendar year); and generous bonus and paid time off programs. SME is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran/military status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. SME is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
For immediate consideration, please email cover letter and resume, including salary expectations, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.