On behalf of the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), CareerPhysician, a leader in executive search and leadership development for academic medical centers nationally, is pleased to inform you of the inception of an international search for a visionary leader who will serve as the inaugural Director for the newly created Data Science Institute (DSI). This is a rare legacy leadership opportunity to establish a new institute and establish the MCW mission, vision and strategy for data science that will serve as the foundation of research, education, and patient care. With robust commitments to resources and infrastructure, we believe this opportunity is among the most substantial executive leadership opportunities available in data science today.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) seeks leaders who align with a highly collegial culture committed to diversity and inclusion. Candidates should possess high emotional intelligence, proven relationship development skills in highly matrixed organizations, entrepreneurial skills and instincts, and a proven track record of leading teams of data scientists who collaborate across university, medical center and health system partnerships engaged in a comprehensive academic mission. Candidates must hold MD, MD/PhD, PhD or ScD in an appropriate data science or biomedical informatics discipline. The successful applicant will possess extensive experience in data science within a life sciences framework and the academic accomplishments that would qualify them for an appointment at the Associate Professor or Professor level at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
Key Opportunity Highlights:
• Opportunity to build the institute team composed of faculty, administrative and technical support staff to drive the mission of the institute and achieve its objectives to become a leading Data Science community nationally and internationally.
• Lead in the creation and implementation of a Data Science Institute strategic plan and vision that will guide MCW’s data science research, educational, and service missions into the future.
• Sources of Data: Froedtert Health, Children’s Wisconsin, Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin, Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center, Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research, Biomedical Informatics of Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Clinical Research Data Warehouse of Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
• Data Analytic Resources: Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Research Computing Center, Genomic Sciences and Precision Medicine Center, Center for Imaging Research, Epidemiology Data Resource Center, Biostatics Core Services including Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Institute for Health and Equity, Center for Advancing Population Science, Children’s Research Institute, Inception Health, Froedtert Enterprise Analytics, and Regional resources including the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Marquette University and Milwaukee School of Engineering.
• Intellectual Resources: Intellectual Community in Southeast Wisconsin, including University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Marquette University, Milwaukee School of Engineering.
• Work in a thriving academic environment with dynamic and diverse expertise in all areas of data science and leverage the academic, clinical, and research ecosystems to drive the value of the Data Science Institute at scale.
• Establish and lead an institute that is at the forefront of data science research and drives forward the discipline of data science.
• Enable and expand the application of data science to elevate research and clinical excellence across the institution.
• Build on existing and create new interdisciplinary clinical and research efforts.
• Strategically recruit team members, including Faculty, Engineers, and Post-Doctoral students, to drive the mission and the objectives of the institute.
• Create a Data-Driven culture in research, medicine, and care delivery.
• Expand on the current ecosystem to drive the Data Science institute strategy and competitive advantage.
• Develop MS and PhD degree programs and certificate programs in collaboration with MCW departments and institutional partners.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is the state’s only private medical school and health sciences graduate school. MCW has the largest physician group in Wisconsin and the 14th largest physician group practice in the U.S. Approximately 1,650 MCW physicians and 800 nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other healthcare practitioners care for more than 540,000 patients of all ages annually. The core of everything we do at the MCW is academic medicine, which brings together scientists, clinicians, students, and community members to solve challenges in health and society. MCW is a diverse group of thought leaders collaborating to build a healthier world. Every study we conduct, and every patient we see, leads to new learning and a continuous cycle of life-changing knowledge.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Nominations and applications, including current curriculum vitae and a cover letter stating qualifications and reasons for interest in the role, may be submitted to Wesley D. Millican, CEO and Physician Talent Officer, CareerPhysician, C/O Kerry Henry at Kerry@careerphysician.com.
All interactions will remain confidential, and no inquiries will be made without the consent of the applicant. We are dedicated to equity and diversity principles and particularly encourage those of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The Medical College of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment whose qualifications are commensurate with anticipated job responsibilities and position requirements will be considered and treated equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity and/or expression, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is the state’s only private medical school and health sciences graduate school. Since 1893, MCW has been a leader in patient care, research, education, and community engagement. The core of everything we do at the Medical College of Wisconsin is academic medicine, which brings together scientists, clinicians, students, and community members to solve challenges in health and society. MCW is a diverse group of thought leaders collaborating to build a healthier world. Every study we conduct, every patient we see, leads to new learning and a continuous cycle of life-changing knowledge.
MCW has more than 18,000 alumni and is financially secure with a sound balance sheet and annual operating margins typically exceeding 3.5%.
MCW has approximately 6,440 faculty and staff. Nearly 6,016 faculty and staff work on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus, and more than 425 work at approximately 30 other healthcare facilities in eastern and central Wisconsin. More than 2,300 physicians from the community serve as volunteer faculty.